Sunday, March 6, 2011

Women's 5K

I ran in a 5K today in Launceston.  I really wanted to do a race in Launceston before we left so I signed up.  The race was for women and benefitted the cancer center at Launceston General Hospital.  We all got pink shirts to wear to raise breast cancer awareness.  It started at 1 pm.  I am so used to getting up early for races so this was a change.  Ben had to work at 2 but the race was only going to take me a half an hour or so so he was nice enough to come be a spectator.  I ended up running the race in 30:30 and was 282 out of 1716 people.  Ben and I were talking right before the race about how I was running this for my Aunt Daleann who we lost to breast cancer a couple of years ago.  I got a little choked up as I crossed the starting line and thought of her.  She had a long hard battle but kept us laughing until the end.  I think of her often and know my mom misses her sister dearly.  It was really neat to see the sea of pink shirts running the race and I am glad I got the opportunity to participate.  Coming soon will be a post about our plans for the next few months.  Ben's last shift at the hospital is Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment